Easy treatments for psoriasis
About 2-4% of the American population suffers from the problem of psoriasis. It is a disease in which the growth of skin cells increases suddenly and rashes are seen on the skin surface. This can happen in any part of the body and is usually chronic but non-contagious. Usually red rashes and swellings happen on the skin which has a covering of dead skin cells, which become silver in color. Patients suffering from depression, tension, diabetes and heart ailments are more prone to psoriasis. Though it is quite difficult to cure the disease completely, here are some simple solutions that can help in reducing the problem to a great extent.
- Salicylic acid – This is a great medicine that can be used in the treatment of mind psoriasis. Since salicylic acid has properties of a keratoolytic, it helps in peeling off the outer layer of the skin. The hard scales that are formed on the affected area easily fall off with this medicine. Proper amount of this medicine is good for the treatment of psoriasis but overdoses might do more harm than good.
- Moisturizers – Moisturizers are probably the most commonly used treatments for psoriasis. These help in keeping the skin moisturized, soft and supple. Thus, the chances of skin drying up, reddening and itching will be minimized. However, all kinds of moisturizers are not suitable in psoriasis. A dermatologist should surely be contacted before applying any skin cream or moisturizer for psoriasis.
- Laser treatments – Incase of severe psoriasis, laser treatments are best as they directly work on the infected area on the skin. Excimer lasers as well as Pulsed Dye laser therapy are the tow most common laser treatments that are adopted. Ultraviolet light B is applied to the affected area. Affects of the treatment start showing after four-ten sessions of laser exposure. The treatment continues for weeks before best results are obtained.
- Anti-itching treatments and bath salts – There are many bath salts and anti-itching treatments that prove to be highly effective in the treatment of psoriasis. Epsom salts and Dead Sea salts are some of the best things that can be used in psoriasis cure and treatment. The scales on the skin are shed and the itching also reduces with these salts and anti-itching treatments.
- Exposure to sunlight – This is probably the cheapest and the easiest treatment for psoriasis. However, it is mandatory to apply sun-screen before exposing the body in sunlight. Otherwise sunburns and other skin damages might be caused.
So, these are the top treatments available for psoriasis.